To: Appleton City Faculty, Students, Parents\Guardians, and Community Members:
In lieu of approaching weather, I wanted to send out a reminder of how the district decides upon and reacts when inclement weather does not permit us to open school for any given day. The process starts with watching the weather closely through multiple channels and deciding if/when the weather will reach Appleton City. Usually, I will wait until signs of snow, sleet, ice, etc. are present before making a judgement towards delaying the start of school or cancelling. If I am ever unsure or hesitant towards a decision, I will drive partial bus routes and surrounding streets to assess road conditions.
The decision to delay or cancel school is never taken lightly and will always include a process of thinking about the safety of our students, parents, staff\faculty, and any other community member involved with our school. This decision holds great responsibility and I assure you that I will always do what is in the best interest of safety for all involved.
When\if inclement weather occurs; there are three procedures that could happen: a 2-hour delay, school closing, or early dismissal. If we have a 2-hour delay, the start of the day will be exactly two hours later from our 8:00 am start time; meaning we will start at 10 am. Bus routes will also be delayed two hours from their normal pick-up time. If we have a school closing or delay you will be notified the day before or morning of the closing through the various methods listed below. If weather comes while school is in session and an early-out is determined to be the safest avenue, we will post through our messenger service (the district must have an active phone line registered in the offices) and Facebook.
We will be using the following measures for notifying all patrons of a two-hour delay or school closing:
Radio: TV Stations:
KMAM\KMOE WDAF Channel 4
KDKD KCTV5 Channel 5
KMBC Channels 9, 29
Social/Media: KC Channels 4, 5, 9, 41
School Website Springfield Channels 3, 9, 33